Call for panels
The VII Congress of the Italian Society of Women Historians will be held in Pisa,
February 2-4, 2017.
GENDER AND HISTORY : NEW RESEARCH PERSPECTIVES VII Congress of the Italian Society of Women Historians (SIS)
Pisa, February 2-4, 2017
Drawing on previous experiences, the SIS intends to shape the Congress as an opportunity for exchange and debate on research topics and on interpretative categories relevant to women’s and gender history.
The SIS is therefore delighted to invite Italian and foreign scholars to submit proposals of panels within a very wide chronological range (from antiquity to the modern era) and on the most varied geo-political and cultural contexts. The Congress will welcome all research questions and topics, on the only condition that they are analyzed through the lens of gender history. The SIS is confident that the Congress will be able to provide a significant and broad outline of the new developments of historiography in this field.
Proposals of panels focusing on men’s and women’s cultural models and social behaviors, with a specific attention devoted to the issue of the historical construction of sexual identities, will be particularly appreciated. In this framework, the scientific committee will welcome proposals providing new insights on those historical declinations of sexual identities that are not amenable to the binary construction of gender (notably highlighted by LGBTQ studies), as well as proposals shedding light on contexts and historical actors of non-Western origins or nationality, or tapping into the topics and methodologies explored by World History and Global History.
The SIS is particularly keen to encourage the participation of young researchers.
The procedure for the submission of a proposal to the Scientific Committee is explained below. Each scholar can take part in maximum two panels : in one as speaker, and in the other as discussant.
The SIS can’t reimburse travel and accommodation costs, but a number of scholarships will be made available to independent scholars and to the participants in a very early stage of their careers.
Submitting a panel’s proposal
- Each panel must be composed of 3 to 4 speakers and one discussant.
- Each panel will be assigned a two hours slot.
- Papers can be delivered in Italian, English, French or Spanish.
- Any request of audiovisual equipment must be reported to the Scientific Committee by the panel’s coordinator by December 15, 2016.
Proposals must include :
- Coordinator (the link with the Scientific Committee) : name, surname, qualification/position, institution, address, e-mail, telephone number.
- Panel’s title and abstract (max. 1000 characters, around 150 words).
- List of speakers (max. 4), respective qualifications/positions, institutions, addresses, e-mails, telephone numbers, papers’ titles and abstracts (max. 300 characters, around 50 words).
- Discussant : name, surname, qualification/position, institution, address, e-mail and telephone number.
Proposals must be submitted using the attached form (available also on the SIS website), to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 12, 2016.
For any request of information or clarification on the scientific aspects of the Congress, please email : email@example.com
For any request of information or clarification on the practical organization of the Congress, please email : firstname.lastname@example.org